|Back to Earth System Resilience||biosphere stewardship|
Ecosystems provide “services” such as food, water or timber, but also values that are less visible or not perceived at all.including supporting, regulating and cultural services. These were later categorised and systematised in the Common International Classification of Ecosystem Services (CICES)
Services that the Earth’s ecosystem provide to humans and to other forms of life.
- Provisioning goods and services
- Food, water, wood etc..
- Supporting Services
- Nutrient cycles, soil formation (soil health is essentialetc..
- Regulating Services (
Balancing Feedback Loops
]] for climate change)
- Pest and disease control, carbon storage etc…
Earth carbon storage
- Rainforests regulate carbon sinks and rainfalls
- Coral reefs regulate the ocean’s ability to take up CO2 and its ability to circulate heat
- Ice Caps sink methane and reflect sunlight and heat
- Savannahs regulate temperature and sink carbon
- Other Services
- Ozone layer formation (filter UV), Ice sheets (regulating temperature)
Here are all the notes in this garden, along with their links, visualized as a graph.