meditation increases agency
Back to: Meditation | [[ Jamie Bristow ]]
Agency intended as:
Similar to [[ Jordan Greenhall ]]’s concept of Sovereignty
- Ability to pay attention to what’s important
- Especially today, technology and [[ social media ]], are continuously trying to hijack our attention, spreading misinformation. Meditation can help us develop a [[ memetic immune system ]]
- Meditation is not just about attention and calm
- it also involves openness, curiosity, kindness and care
Stress and anxiety narrow our attention even more, making us more vulnerable to [[ cognitive dissonance ]]
- The information we take in is affected by Cognitive Bias but we are often unaware of it
- Improving our sense-making by helping us integrate our rational and intuitive intelligence
- See things from a broader perspective and through different ones
- We become less identified with our thoughts/beliefs etc….
- Many of our actions are often reactive and conditioned by culture, not really stemming from conscious intentions
- Meditation helps us interrupt living on automatic pilot and living with more purpose
- Building better habits
- The way meditation is currently taught is likely to be net-positive, but it could be a lot more powerful, if more integrated with things like ethics and compassionate action
Here are all the notes in this garden, along with their links, visualized as a graph.
Notes mentioning this note
There are no notes linking to this note.